Saturday, June 4, 2011

Kardemumma gräddfil våfflor - Cardamom Sour Cream Waffles

Probably the best thing I've eaten. In like a month, or two.


Surprisingly easy to make. They are not kidding the best waffles. So, I'm Swedish, most people can guess from looking at me. And Swedish food often gets a bad rap. I feel like these waffles with pretty much convert people. 


June 6 is Nationaldagen aka Swedish National Day. Fun times all around there, its fantastic people handing out flags, gatherings in all the city squares. Parties, food, etc. Unfortunately I cannot be there this year or host a party, and I haven't seen any celebrations around, so making these waffles is my own little celebration, plus they just sounded good. There maybe meatballs soon. In trying to explain Nationaldagen to a friend and talking about hosting a Nationaldagen became known as meatball day... Oh well. I try.  So there is a belated Meatball Day Dinner in the works. 


There is a waffle day in Sweden - Våffeldagen ( 25 March) Yummmm. I'll need to mark my calendar.


Kardemumma gräddfil våfflor - Cardamom Sour Cream Waffles *



  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon salt (I'm very light with salt, so this is a bit of personal preference)
  • 1 rounded teaspoon ground cardamom
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1 cup sour cream (plain yogurt works in a pinch, not the same, but similar idea.)
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted


Preheat a waffle iron until hot.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cardamom.
Whisk together remaining ingredients in another bowl, then whisk into flour mixture until just combined.
Lightly brush waffle iron with oil and cook waffles. 

I garnished with cloudberry jam, whipped cream, and powdered sugar. Lingonberry jam would be good as well.


Smaklig måltid!


1 comment:

  1. YUM! Or, because I am in France, comme disent les francais, Miam Miam!

    ReplyDelete