Sunday, June 19, 2011

Peach Cake with Strawberry Peach Marscapone filling


So I was really excited about this and it didn't turn out as planned. One of the things I needed was peach extract and none was around to find. I have it coming in my King Arthur Flour really big order.  So the cake was a little heavier than I generally like, but turned out very moist with a faint peach flavor and a lovely color. I need to figure out why it's so heavy, but that's a problem for another day.

I did find out that if you can't find super fine sugar or run out while baking, just put some regular sugar in a coffee grinder and grind for about 20 seconds and you're good.

I'll be excited to try this again, with the extract. And a better buttercream. My buttercream was a disaster. In part to it being 92 outside and I was baking with no AC to try and save on electricity. It was fine until the buttercream, it started separating and just wouldn't hang together, I put it in the fridge but it only helped temporarily. The damage was done. Lesson learned, buttercream is cranky.














Ingredients:



tablespoons butter, softened (1 stick)
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
tablespoon baking powder
1 3/4 cups superfine sugar
teaspoons vanilla
large egg whites
2 3/4 cups cake flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup pureed peaches


Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°F, Grease and flour 2 8-inch pans OR butter and line with parchment paper.




  1. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, baking powder, sugar, salt and extracts until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the egg whites to the butter mixture one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir 1/3 of the flour into the creamed mixture, then half the milk and peach puree. Repeat process, ending with flour. Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl down after each addition. Pour the batter into the prepared pans. Bake for about 23 minutes, or until cake tests done. Cool completely in pans on wire racks

For filling:
1 cup cold marscapone cheese
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup peach and strawberry puree
1/4 cup powdered sugar

Mix thoroughly. (I use a hand mixer) 

2 comments: