Saturday, June 4, 2011

Northwest Comfort Food


Phad Thai has to me one of my favorite meals. Of all times it's up there with chicken teriyaki. The recipe below fed me for lunch for about three days and also I probably had three dinners. 

Phad thai is comfort food. Noodles, tofu, some veggies, noodles. Asian food. You can't really go wrong. I mean, I just ate this stuff for about a week straight... Not entirely sure what that says about me, but I'm just going to go with it.

You can substitute the tofu for chicken, pork, shrimp whatever. I really like tofu. I can eat it raw. Not for everyone, but I never said I was normal.

1/2 lb. dried rice noodles, 1/8" wide (the thin ones work too)
Warm water
1 carton of extra firm tofu
1/4 c. fish sauce
1/4 c. sugar (I usually am fairly light with the sugar.)
2 (BIG) cloves finely chopped garlic
1/4 c.white vinegar
1 tsp. paprika
4 slivered green onions
1/2 red onion1/2 c. peanut oil
2 eggs
3/4 lb. bean sprouts
2 tbsp. ground roast chili (I use chili flakes, and add more because I like the heat)
1/2 tsp. turmeric3/4 c. ground roasted peanuts (peanuts finely chopped)
Lime wedges



Soak noodles 30 minutes until pliable and drain (sometimes it takes longer). Mix sauce (sugar, vinegar, paprika and fish sauce). Set aside. Heat wok, stir fry tofu, add noodles. Add garlic, red onions and sauce. (You can also sauté them with the tofu) Tuck eggs under noodles and add oil as needed. Add sprouts and garnish with green onions, peanuts and lime wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment