Friday, April 15, 2011

Challah!

When I was kneading my dough I was remembering the time I made challah before. This happens to be my second attempt at making it. The first did not go do well. I killed my yeast. Like as in not rising, not eating, not doing anything, dough did not rise at all, dead. It tasted good... sort of.

This time I actually proofed my yeasties. Thank god. They were hungry little organisms. I tried a new recipe this time, and am excited because it has a suggestion do to a slow rise in the refrigerator the night before and then throw it in the oven Friday early evening. Perfect! Get home from work braid it and chuck the sucker in the oven and make the rest of dinner and have fresh bread. Perfect for people who have no lives outside of work such as myself.

I decided on the menu for Pesach. One thing to note; it's going to be a parve/dairy dinner since we have a vegetarian.

-rosemary roasted potatoes
-rosemary salmon
-Charoset (apple and pear) 
-matzoh popovers
-Miriam's Cabbage
-Roasted carrots and asparagus
-Honey cake
-Strawberry marscapone cream pie with a coconut macaroon shell (pie shell was a total impulse by at the store and I had to figure out how to fill it...
-Veggie kugle from Debbie
-Parve Matzoh Ball soup (my friend is making and bringing this)

The eggs for roasting are all hardboiled and now I need to get as much prepped as I can on Sunday... Monday is getting really really close...

No comments:

Post a Comment