Saturday, December 4, 2010

A Day of Cake!

The baking 101 class at CakeLove was what I expected. Fun, but totally basic. I did pick up a new tip, though and some new recipes, but mostly it was a ton of fun. I would recommend their classes to everyone because you actually bake and our instructor was super nice. We ended up making two different types of cupcakes and then taking them home. Yum. I'm really excited for bread class tomorrow!

I ended up coming up with my own cake because of baking class today.

Chamboard Cake

7oz unbleached all purpose flour
2 oz corn starch
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup half and half
2 tlb chamboard
1 tlb vanilla extract
8 large egg whites
6 oz unsalted butter
14 oz sugar

Raspberry jam for filling.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine wet, dry ingredients, and crack eggs all into separate bowls. (make sure to separate the yolks from the whites!) Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs one at a time, because it's whites only, you're going to have to judge about how much would be one egg. Add half dry ingredients. Blend until mixed thoroughly. Add all of the wet. Beat until blended fully. Add the rest of the dry. Butter the pans, and evenly split the batter between the two. Bake for 28 minutes. Let cake cool thoroughly on racks. Then on the bottom layer, spread jam covering the top. But the second layer on and frost.

My pans were larger than I expected, and my recipe would have been great for 9"x2", so I ended up with a short, squat cake. The filling also sort of oozed out the side and mixed with the buttercream, however it ended up looking rather nice. And it's still super tasty!

The frosting is a chamboard buttercream.

1 cup butter
1 cup powederd sugar
1 tlb chamboard

While my cake was cooling I actually got my marinade started, which I wasn't sure I was going to do. We'll see how it turns out. I have a nice New York strip going. I am going to leave it in the fridge for tomorrow's dinner with cardamom rice.
















Marinade below.

1 cup red wine (I used cabernet sauvignon)
1 1/2 tlb olive oil
1 tlb herbs de provence
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp white pepper

2 comments:

  1. MmmMMmm...both of those sound soo good. Where does one find Herbs de Provence mix or how would one make it?

    ReplyDelete