Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Potatoes!!

So I ended up making roasted rosemary potatoes and chicken in a caper white wine sauce. Success! The potatoes were probably some of the best potatoes I have ever eaten. Man. SO good. The chicken was great, and easy too. So there's a keeper. I should have started the potatoes first, the prep is simple and easy, but they bake for 30 minutes. Just enough time to make the chicken. The chicken was simpler than I thought. I ended up keeping the sliced and cooked breast in the sauce pan on low to medium while I finished up with the potatoes and let them cook.

Enjoy.




Chicken in a white wine caper sauce

Thinly slice 1 chicken breast, cook until just done, remove from pan.
 
Boil 1 cup dry white wine  down to 1/2 cup.
Add 2 Tbls lemon juice
Add 2 Tbls crushed capers (lightly crush with back of fork)
Add 1 clove minced garlic (or two, I am heavy handed on garlic and love it so I always tend to add more)
Add 1 tsp finely chopped rosemary or basil
Boil 1 minute reduce heat to low.
 
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter cut in tablespoon pats.
whisk in 1 Tbsp butter pat at a time whisking constantly as butter melts, until all butter pat are in.
add chicken and heat. Season with salt and pepper
   
serve with rice or pasta

Rosemary Roasted Potatoes - Barefoot Contessa





Ingredients

  • 3 pounds baby Yukon Gold potatoes
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 4 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary (divided)

Directions

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Slice the bottom off each potato and cut crosswise at 1/8-inch intervals, cutting to within 1/4 inch of the bottom. (You can place the potato on a large spoon so the edges of the spoon prevent you from slicing completely through the potato.)
Place the potatoes in a large bowl, add the olive oil, salt and pepper and 1 tablespoon of the rosemary and toss well, working the salt mixture in between the slices. Arrange the potatoes on a sheet pan cut side up.
Bake the potatoes for 30 minutes, until they are tender and golden and crisp on top
  • Sprinkle with remaining rosemary and serve.


Yesterday I discovered that some of my potatoes had started sprouting. To the point I could plant the sucker and grow some potatoes. Mmm. since potatoes can just about grow anywhere I think I will! I just need a very large pot. I'm getting so fascinated by plants and growing food lately. And wanting a cow. And a goat. And some chickens.

Sprouty Potato!
I also found out an easier way to make worm composting bins, and a place to order a small one for $45. Good deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment