Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Packin' heat

This sauce needs input. I like it, but I also like spicy food.

I ended up making a marinara/red/spaghetti sauce tonight and well, let's just say it's packing some serious heat. I never knew pepper was that spicy. In the middle of cooking it, I decided it sounded like a fantastic lunch. And so for lunch it will be.

I've sort of wondered how to make spaghetti a nicer plate. Mostly I associate it with being a kid and getting it all over my face and camping. But I know I have seen it done nicely. Anyway, I gave it a shot.

Sauce:

2 cans 6oz tomato paste
1 very large can tomatoes with juice (like the large San Marzano)
1 cup water
2-3 cloves garlic minced
1 shallot minced
2 tsp rosemary
2 tsp basil
2 tsp oregano
2 heaping tlb black pepper
1 tlb kosher salt
1 cup red wine
1/2 tlb olive oil

puree canned tomatoes in a blender. Combine all in a large pot and simmer for 2.5 hours.

I started "Cleaving" by Julie Powell. I'm not sure what it's going to be like. There is a lot of her personally like in her writing, and just as much that I don't. We'll see how it goes, it will be interesting regardless.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, 2 heaping Ts of black pepper??? Yikes. As for nicing up a plate of spaghetti, my solution has always been to buy thin spaghetti instead. Thick spaghetti always screams school lunches to me. Thin is more refined ;)

    Also, I propose your next dish be a vegetarian chili :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, sort of didn't realize that black pepper had that much heat. Left off was the fact I also sprinkled in some red pepper flakes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found crushed red pepper is especially good for a kick in tomato-based sauces. I make a very similar recipe too -- I'll try yours next time!

    ReplyDelete